Travelling with your CPAP machine
Whether it’s for a long-needed vacation or a work trip, travelling can be tiresome – especially without your CPAP therapy providing a good night’s sleep. It’s important to continue your therapy on vacation. Keep reading for helpful tips and tools on packing and travelling with your CPAP therapy. Bon voyage!
Preparing for a holiday
Whether you’re camping, going on a road trip, or travelling overseas, this short video will give you useful information about transporting and using your machine while you’re away.
eBook: CPAP travel tips for flying
We know packing can be a pain, so we’ve created a list of all of the pre-travel, airport and hotel tips that can help make travel with your CPAP a breeze.
CPAP Travel tips
What to know before you go?
Take a note of useful information
- A doctor’s letter to certify that you need PAP therapy.
- A note of your treatment pressure, mask type and mask size.
- Contact details for your doctor, equipment supplier and care provider.
- Health insurance details, including your policy number and the provider’s contact details.
- ResMed’s FAA Air Travel Compliance Letter, so you’ll be able to carry your device through airport security and on to the plane.
Check you’ll have power
- At least two weeks before you fly, ask the airline for permission to use your device on a flight. If they give permission in writing, remember to take a copy of the letter/email with you.
- If you’ll be travelling overnight on other forms of transport (e.g. train), contact the tour operator or travel company in advance to ask if you’ll be able to plug in your therapy device.
- Check if you’ll need a special power adapter to use your device on a plane or other mode of transport and remember to pack one! ResMed offers converters so you can use your device with a 12V or 24v DC power source in a car, boat or other vehicle with suitable battery. Need one today? Visit our webshop.
- If a suitable power supply won’t be available, consider using a battery pack instead.
Take suitable spares
- Pack a spare mask cushion as you might find it difficult to find a suitable replacement abroad.
- Pack travel wipes to keep your mask and equipment clean while you travel.
Be careful about humidification
- Please DO NOT use a standard humidifier on a plane. Turbulence could cause the water to spill and damage your device. The waterless AirMini HumidX system can be used on planes.
- Make sure there’s no water in your humidification tub before you pack it.